11 Aug 2011

Ship Ahoi

{ Fabric boat for a budding captain - in no time}




I made these little fabric boats for the fair last weekend. They are absolutely easy to make and you can make one in less than an hour. I think they make a perfect gift for a little boy, and can be attached to the buggy with a plastic link, used as a mini cushion or as a rassel if you decide to put a bell inside.You can use up those little pieces of fabric which are two big to throw away, but too small to use in a bigger project.

And here is a quick tutorial of how to make a fabric boat for the little man in your house, or whip up one quickly as a last minute gift.



Start by preparing your pattern. Here is how mine looked like, but you could make it bigger or smaller . My boat is about 25cm high. Use cardboard, it is easier to draw around on the fabric. ( And NO, i have not used my precious Fiscars to cut the cardboard, they just somehow made it on the picture).



You will need five different fabrics and three or four pieces of ribbon. Cut your fabric according to your pattern and press. NOTE: make sure you apply the pattern corectly so that you get two left sails and two right sails. The first time I got 4 left sails.

 
Machine stitch each pair of sails together.



You should now have two triangles for the sails of each side. Press the seams open.

 
With right sides facing each other, pin the bottom part of the boat to the sails and machine stitch. Press and it should look like photo 5.




With right sides together, pin and machine stitch.  Do not forget to add your ribbons. See photo 7. Your boat should look like this. Now you are ready to sew.



Start sewing the boat at the bottom. Make sure you leave an opening big enough to turn the ready boat inside out and to fill it in with toy stuffing.




 Fertig ( german for ready), your boat is ready; now you just need to turn it inside out out and press it.


Stuff the boat with toy stuffing and slip stitch the opening. Now you are ready to watch the eyes of that budding captain light up with delight when presented with this little boat.
If you make this project than do come back and post a link in the comments as I would love to see it.

In the next few days I'll have a similar tutorial for a little girl.

Love,
Irina xx

This post was featured on:

featured on Completely Coastal As seen on CraftGossip.com Freubelweb

52 comments:

  1. Hi Irina,
    so lovely to find you, this tutorial is great!
    I need all the help I can get with sewing.

    happy day to you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, thanks for the tutorial :) me thinks I may try some for my summer house.

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute boats! Thanks fot the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're lovely! Would I have your permission to make some for seeling in a 2 day Christmas market? I'd credit your design, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it ! For my next baby boy or for a friend's baby !

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are too cute!! Thank you so much for linking them up to {nifty thrifty things}! ;)
    Thank you also for your sweet comment on my blog!!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    PS: How long have you been living in Germany? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, it's easy enough for a beginner like me! Thank you for an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is pretty genius.
    So simple but so great!!
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice!! I'll try to do it, it seems so easy.. thank you for your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this great little tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful ! I try to do it one day.
    Have a nice day
    Steph' from France :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so very much. It is sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful!! Thank you so very much.


    Emerencia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll do it and show you, of course.
    Well you Know, I'm following some blogs and I supose you are a follower too and I clicked on your profile,,, That's internet.

    I invite you to see my blog,
    coconutcollier.blogspot.com
    Núria from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Irina,

    I just cut a boat, perhaps I make a second one, sew them tomorrow, I would like to put a link on my blog to show your tutorial, would that be o.k.? See you, bye bye

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonjour, merci pour ce tuto, j'ai donc réalisé un bateau, si vous voulez le voir il est sur mon blog. Bien amicalement, Marie-Lise

    ReplyDelete
  17. bonsoir,

    merci pour ce joli cadeau parfait pour mes deux neveux qui seront bien contents.

    sarvenaz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Que fofinho, esse eu vou fazer!!!Obrigada
    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi these are beautiful! I was looking for somewhere on your blog to contact you..but I couldn't find one..I have made one as a gift for a dear little newborn boy..and I was wondering if i could make a few of these to sell on my FB page? they are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing! I made a version of your boat to my baby son :D
    You can see it here
    http://papgenamadeit.blogspot.com/2012/02/algo-para-o-pequeno-panda-something-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. these are just darling! thanks for stopping by "my place" today:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi.
    I've made one of these for my new Grandson.
    I was wondering if you'd mind if I made them (and maybe the Ladybird too) and sold them to raise money for CMV Action (a UK based CMV charity http://cmvaction.org.uk)

    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  23. A perfect gift for a little boy!!! They are SO cute, Irina! Detailed and easy to follow tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Irina, I've featured your Boat Softie tutorial today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/04/threading-your-way-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love these! Found you via pinterest, I have to make these for our friends new baby. They did a nautical themed nursery so these will be perfect! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great Tutorial!! Wonderfull
    Cannella&Pois
    http://cannellaepois.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the tutorial. Here's my version:
    http://agmullen.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/anchors-aweigh/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Muito lindo, adorei.
    Obrigada pelo tutorial.
    Bjks

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing! I made one for my friend who had a sailboat theme baby shower and it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I came across this post through Pinterest so I made one last night! So much fun, used left over material from the baby bunting I made for my son's 'Sailboat Themed' room! Looks so cool :) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a delightful toy and my grandson will be getting one as soon as possible. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  32. Many thanks for sharing! Pictures of my sailboats will be available by the end of the month on my blog under : http://bit.ly/13fNYmJ. I obviously trackbacked your blog and tutorial from there! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for the making the boats and linking them to the two blogs. They look lovely!

      Delete
  33. precioso gracias por el tuto

    ReplyDelete
  34. so cute :)

    http://www.shoocare.de/gerry-weber-sales-356.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank for these wunderfull ship, we hve a boat and i will try to sew somme Ships for our boat
    Frauke of North gemany

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello,

    I made your ship! Thank you very much for the tutorial! You can see my ship here:

    http://guilitta2000.blogspot.de/2013/08/ruckblick-hochzeitsgeschenk.html

    Greeting Guilitta
    http://guilitta2000.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE this little sail boat! I made it, along with some other baby toys and wrote about it on my blog: http://sweetembellishments.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/homemade-baby-toys/
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Irina
    I would love to include some images of these boats in a book I am writing. Can you drop me an email so we can discuss charlotte[dot]rivers[at]mac[dot]com
    Will wait to hear!
    Thanks
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Irina for the great tutorial!

    I made my own version of a sailboat here: http://craftymavericksguild.blogspot.com/2014/02/sew-easy-sailboat.html .

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  40. THEY ARE PERFECT FOR A BABY GIRL TOO, PERFECT TO ALL BABIES

    ReplyDelete
  41. so lovely! as a Welsh Nanny with two grandchildren, this will be a very useful pattern! Scale it up, maybe for cushions or doorstops, and scale it down, maybe for greetings cards? I am imagining some yacht-shaped bunting too! x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the cute idea-- I saw it featured on Sew, Mama, Sew! And I made one for my little boy :)
    http://vegetablog.wordpress.com/2014/06/20/nursery-projects-sailboat-taggie-pillow/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment if you'd like... I love reading every single one of them and to make it easier there is no annoying word verification.